DiscoverDesign is an online space for teens to explore design, solve design challenges, and gain skills through badges. Share your ideas, get feedback, and connect to a community of other teens, teachers, and design professionals around the world.
As a student, you will tackle challenges head on by utilizing the design process. Through familiarity with the design process, you will learn to work a design from start to finish - from defining a problem to finalizing a design concept.
Getting Started for Students
- Set up an account.
- Complete the registration form – under Role make sure to select Student .
- If you are signing up as part of a class, please include your teacher’s name under Teacher. This will match you with your teacher.
- Verify your account via email to set your password.
- Log in
Next Steps for Students
- Take a look at other students’ work in the Student Gallery
- Once you're ready, start your own Design Challenges
- Your teacher can assign projects and due dates to you if you're using DiscoverDesign as part of a class.
Apply For Badges
You can apply for badges once you’ve completed a design challenge or by heading to the Badges page.
Follow these steps to apply for a badge:
- Select a badge.
- Choose media from a completed design challenge and select it for review.
- Your Teacher (or a Mentor) will be able to review your work, compare it to the badge criterion, and then award you a badge – or give you feedback about what you need to work on further in order to be eligible to earn a badge.
If you aren’t working directly with a teacher or mentor, no problem! Contact us and one of the Mentors on the DiscoverDesign team will review and award your badge applications.
Help keep DiscoverDesign a supportive learning environment
As part of our community, you are sharing your design projects and ideas with students, teachers, and architects, from many different places and cultures, and with all levels of experience. CAF has designed and provided this website to help you explore architectural design and to communicate the ideas about design projects that you develop. In turn, we need your help to make this community a supportive place for every participant. Here's how you can help:
- Respect the work and opinions of others. When sharing your design projects, keep in mind that many people of different ages and backgrounds will see your work, ideas, and comments.
- Offer constructive and specific comments. Ask questions. Instead of only criticizing a design project or simply saying that you do like it, please be specific and explain what you like about it and offer suggestions on how to make it better.
- Help keep the site friendly. If you or others would find comments or a design project mean, insulting, or otherwise inappropriate please flag the comment as inappropriate. You may also write to discoverdesign [at] architecture.org. We will review and may remove any design, project, user, username, or comment at our sole discretion.